October is just around the corner and that means so is National Principals Month! Now is the time to start planning how you will celebrate your leadership. National Principals Month is our opportunity to shine a light on the important work that principals do every day to ensure the success of students and teachers in school buildings across the country. Here are some ideas for how you and your school can celebrate!
- Contact your Member of Congress to arrange a shadowing visit. Give them a chance to see what you really do all day. Need a sample email to invite them? We have that. Congress is on recess and will be in their home districts October 12–October 16. This is a perfect time to have a member of Congress visit your school building.
- Congressman not available? Invite members of the press, board of education, council members, central office staff members, parents, grandparents, and other community leaders to shadow you for a day at school.
- Send a tweet celebrating the month. Include a picture of yourself in your school building or highlight an example of your busy schedule. Use the hashtag #ThankAPrincipal.
- Add a fun picture of yourself with students or teachers to our online photo gallery and your picture will appear on the National Principals Month homepage. You can also include a brief quote sharing your favorite thing about being a principal.
- Write an op-ed for your local paper highlighting the important role school leaders have. You can share what makes your role unique in your building and how your work supports the work of students, teachers, and parents.