Principals are educational visionaries who lead us in providing the best possible education for our school communities—so how can we thank them for all they do?
Start by honoring them during National Principals Month.
NASSP, the National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP), and the American Federation of School Administrators (AFSA) have once again declared the entire month of October as National Principals Month as a way to celebrate these school leaders for their dedication to student success.
And this is no small-scale occurrence: The month-long event has made its way to the Senate and House of Representatives, with several states from coast to coast submitting congressional resolutions to officially recognize October as National Principals Month.
Honor your principal—and principals everywhere—when you participate in the following ways:
For School and District Leaders
- Shadowing Day Visits: Throughout the month, invite government officials, members of the media, or others to shadow principals for the day and experience their responsibilities firsthand.
- Media Relations: Send out a press release or submit an article to your local newspaper about National Principals Month.
- Policy: Get involved by supporting and advocating for principals in your jurisdiction.
For Teachers and Students
- Student Video Contest: Create a fun, unique video that highlights why your principal deserves recognition. Deadline to submit is October 5 at 11:59 p.m.
- Plan a Celebration: Provide a weekly treat, create a scrapbook, write notes of appreciation—anything that shows your gratitude and celebrates your principal.
- #PrinLeaderChat: Follow the #PrinLeaderChat on Twitter to join the conversation with fellow principals about the hottest topics affecting education.
- Action Alerts: Take action to find legislators and send them an action alert email regarding current issues important to school leaders.
- #ThankAPrincipal: Use the #ThankAPrincipal hashtag on all social media channels to honor principals across the country. Access our social media toolkit for sample posts.
- E-Cards: Send your principal an e-card to thank them for the hard work they put in each and every day.
National Principals Month is just around the corner! Start planning now on how you will honor your principal throughout October and how you will continue to do so all year long.